retour article original

jeudi 20 juillet 2017
Vous êtes ici Accueil Informations internationales Asie Proche Orient
imemc, 5 août 2015

Proche Orient : Israeli Soldiers Terrorize the Old City of Hebron


An Israeli truck sprays dirt water at Palestinian stone throwers during clashes in the West Bank city of Hebron, July 31, 2015

At around 11:00 PM on the night of August 1st, 2015, a fire began in souk of Hebron’s Old City. The fire was coming from a building that overhangs into the souk from the illegal settlement of Beit Hadassah. The Israeli military came and immediately began detaining Palestinians, saying that the cause of the fire was from a Molotov. Local Palestinians say that they believe it was actually an illegal Israeli settler that threw the Molotov into the house, as a way to cause problems for the Palestinians. No one lived in the house where the Molotov was thrown.

West Bank

The Israeli military presence became massive with about 70 soldiers, border police, and police, as well as army jeeps and a large armored vehivle. The military was claiming that there was a homemade bomb in one of the houses. They started to forbid movement and surrounded the area, detaining people for several hours. They detained eight Palestinians, two of whom were arrested, handcuffed, and blindfolded. The military, claiming Shalaleh street a closed military zone, announced that if people went any further, they would be arrested. CPTers were also present and documenting the situation. A large military vehicle came out through Bab al Baladia from the illegal settlement. The soldiers began raiding houses, looking for the "homemade bomb".

Eventually, a smaller remote controlled robotic device came out from the back of the large military vehicle. The soldiers said that it would be used to detonate the bomb they claimed was hidden somewhere in the souk. Meanwhile, groups of military and border police were scattered throughout the souk, not allowing people to cross while raiding houses. A group of 30 soldiers started to force open the gate of a shop with a crowbar in search of a surveillance cameras that may have filmed whatever caused the fire. The army forced themselves in and broke down the door without even botheriing to ask for the key from the owner of the shop. At this time they also detained a young man near the shop, making him put his head against the wall.

A Palestinian arrested by Israeli soldiers, in Hebron, August 1st, 2015

When ISMers were questioning the soldiers about what they were doing, the "commander" told them to back off and then said if he saw them again, he would have them arrested. He also called the soldiers at checkpoint 56 (also known as H1/H2 or Shuhada street checkpoint) and told them to tell the ISMers the same thing. All accounts of the situation vary, but this is the information ISM knows from what was witnessed and from Palestinian sources.

International Solidarity Movement. Khalil Team

Video : Israeli forces launch large raid in Hebron’s Old City

Liens liés a l'article.imemc


éditeur : Frank Brunner | ouverture : 11 novembre 2000 | reproduction autorisée en citant la source